Once upon a time Okehapton Catsle was one of the largest castles in Devon and indeed, the South West. Situated on a long, tapered shale outcrop in a wooded valley on the northern edge of Dartmoor, the castle is believed to have been built after 1068, and is mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) as the centre of the estates of Baldwin de Brionne, Sheriff of Devon. Beginning as a motte in the late 11th century, the castle was abandoned in 1539 after its owner, Henry, Marquis of Exeter, was found guilty of conspiracy and executed by Henry VIII.
There is a riverside picnic area of outstanding beauty and some magical woodland walks.
Additional facilities include: Shop, audio tours, baby changing facilities, parking and shop.
Located 1 mile SW of Okehampton town centre. Normal adult admission well under the £5.00 mark.
More photos and descriptions of Okehampton Castle are available using the links below.