Why Pollok House is filled with an outstanding collection of Spanish art, antique furniture, silverware and ceramics won’t be clear to many at first, but visitors to this impressive 18th century mansion will no doubt get a snapshot of life outside the hustle and bustle of Glasgow city centre which, believe it or not, is still only minutes away.
With the White Cart river, spanned by a bridge built in 1757, the Pollok Estate has been the home of the Maxwell family since the mid-13th century.
Visitors will enjoy Pollock House’s beautifully kept gardens, including a collection of over 1,000 species of rhododendrons, which are also open to the public.
The Spanish connection? Well that’s down to Sir William Stirling Maxwell (1818-1878) who collected most of the paintings you can see on display in the house. Maxwell became an authority on the art and history of Spain, and published the first reference work in English on the subject. Items in the collection include pieces by El Greco (the famous Lady in a Fur Wrap) and Goya, as well as works by the English poet and artist William Blake.
Facilities include: Gallery Shop; Café; Male and Female Toilets; Wheelchair Access; Car and Coach. Parking is Free. Open daily from 10am-5pm.
Directions: Pollok House is situated in the tranquil surroundings of Pollok Country Park in the South of the city, and is a short walk from the Burrell Collection.
More photos and descriptions of Pollok House and Country Park are available using the links below.